There is a lot to be said for a well-made roof. Ideally, you want your roof to be made from high quality materials and installed by experienced roofers. Your roof has a lot to contend with. Years of withstanding extreme heat, high winds and rainfall, really puts any roof to the test.
A roof is one of the most important features of any home. It protects the interior of your home, and more importantly your family, from the outside world. Having a roof that is in poor shape, either due to poor quality, shoddy installation or old age, can leave you exposed to the elements.
Even a small vulnerability or weak point in a roof can open you up to leaks that can turn into serious mold and mildew problems, or even worse, extensive water damage. Having a new roof installed, or your existing roof repaired, can lead to serious savings and add value to your home or business. A beautiful roof can enhance a home’s curb appeal. Not to mention, future buyers will consider your home well taken care of if it has a well maintained roof.
Energy efficiency is another advantage. A properly insulated roof can drastically minimize utility costs over the years. When you have a structurally sound roof, that has proper ventilation and fewer air leaks, you’ll be able to crank the A/C or heat without worrying about the energy you’re losing from through the attic.
When to Replace Your Roof
Now that we’ve established how important having a quality roof is, short of having a professional roofer inspect your roofing, what are some signs you should look for to see if your roof needs replacing?
- The 20 Year Test – Is your roof 20 years or older? If the answer is yes, you probably need a new roof. Traditional asphalt roofs typically last a couple of decades. Provided this knowledge, if your roof is inching closer to the legal drinking age, it is best to be proactive and plan ahead. Rather than wait and have to endure an emergency roof replacement, which can be a major inconvenience without prior planning, contact a professional roofer to determine whether a total roof replacement is needed.
- Missing Shingles – This is an obvious issue. If your shingles are starting to roll up and curl, are noticeably developing cracks or are missing altogether, you probably need a new roof. You can’t expect your roof to protect you from the elements when it’s visibly in disrepair.
- Light or Significant Drafts – If you’re seeing an uptick in your electricity bill, or don’t feel like your home is maintaining a consistent temperature, then you may have cracks in your roof.
- Staining on Your Ceiling – If you’re noticing water stains or blotches on your ceiling, then it probably means you have a leaky roof. Don’t let the damage get more widespread. Call a roofing professional immediately to assess the extent of the leak.
- Damaged or missing shingles – Damaged or missing shingles indicate a worn-out roof. When shingles start to curl, develop cracks, or lose their granules, they cannot protect your roof properly.
Owens Corning Total Protection Roofing System
Owens Corning is the pinnacle of roofing and insulation materials. Window World Boston is excited to offer such high quality roofing products to homeowners throughout Massachusetts. This 360-degree approach to roofing is the very best of its kind and provides long-lasting protection to any home.
- Defend – Making sure your roof can sufficiently protect you from inclement weather should be at the top of your list when you’re looking for a new roof. We offer a tough layer of defense. Our signature adhesion can withstand high winds and helps shed water away from the roof deck. This is essential to protecting the weaker parts of your roof such as eaves and peaks. Owens Corning shingles provide a continuous sealant that wards off leaks and keeps water from sneaking in.
- Seal – Making sure your roof is properly sealed is essential. A properly sealed roof can stave off rot, mold and water damage. Our underlayment products are a final line of defense between you and the elements. This revolutionary sealant system can protect your home from where water tends to collect, including vents, chimney seams and skylights. Ask our Window World Boston about Owens Corning Total Protection Roofing System to make sure your roof is sealed to perfection.
- Breathability – As much as you want to keep the elements out, you also want to make sure you’re not trapping cold or damp air in between your ceiling and roof. The breathability of our roofing system can help reduce the buildup of heat or moisture in the attic. This could lead to ice damming, roof deterioration and mold. Our roofing protection system helps manage temperature and moisture levels from the roof down.
Window World Boston proudly offers Owens Corning Total Protection Roofing System and installation to our loyal customers. If you are in need of a total roof replacement, contact the trusted roofing experts at Window World Boston.