Windows are the eyes of the home. A home without windows is a pretty dreary thought. These portrait-worthy apertures have been bringing the beauty and glow of the outdoors into living rooms, bedrooms, and kitchens since the 13th century B.C.
Coming in a variety of shapes, sizes, and configurations, windows have come quite a long way throughout the years. The windows of today are built to last, with awesome insulating capabilities and air-tight sealants. If you live in an older home, or you notice that your existing windows have started to decay, chip, or are difficult to open and close, it may be time to replace your windows with new ones.
But what kind of windows best suit your home, both in design and function? Do you even know the type of windows you have now? If you are one of the many that are clueless about the different kinds of windows that are out there, this blog is for you.
Most Popular Window Styles
Replacing your windows can make your property more energy-efficient, as well as completely revamp the look and feel of your entire home. Here is a list of some of the most popular window styles on the market today.
- Double-Hung Windows – This is the most popular style of window because of its classic design. Consisting of two vertically constructed panels, double-hung windows can be opened from the top or bottom and be moved all the way up or all the way down. This gives homeowners the ability to control the airflow in the room that these versatile windows are installed.
Ventilation – Because double-hung windows can be opened from both the top and bottom, it makes it possible for homeowners to allow as much, or as little, fresh air in as they want. These popular styles of windows are an excellent choice for any home.
Cost-Effective & Energy Efficient: Installing double-hung windows can save you a lot of money on your utility bill. Not only are they well insulated, but double-hung window styles from Window World of Boston feature a multi-chambered sash and mainframe to maximize thermal efficiency. They are able to control and filter UV lighting and are designed to keep your home cool in the summers and keep the warmth in during the winter, thus cutting down on the amount of energy you’re using to heat and cool your home.
Safety: Safety is a great perk, especially for families with small children. Double-hung windows can’t be pushed outwards and are constructed with sturdy locks and anti-intruder failsafe switches that you can pop out in the evenings as an added safety measure.
- Sliding Windows – As the name suggests, sliding windows open by sliding from one side or the other, rather than your typical up-and-down window style. Sliding windows are an excellent choice for those that want mostly unobstructed views. With sliding windows homeowners can still welcome in a fresh breeze, without the bugs, and have a beautiful view of the outside.
- Casement & Awning Windows – Casement and awning windows rose to popularity in the United Kingdom before the creation of the sash window and are now growing in popularity in new construction homes. Casement windows are installed either alone or as a pair and hangs on side hinges that allow the window to open like a door. Casement windows bring in loads of natural light. Window World’s casements windows include slimline-designed frames, among the narrowest in the industry, maximizing glass area for a generous infusion of daylight. These stylish and expansive windows have a crank as an opening mechanism so you can open them fully or gently crack them depending on how much airflow you desire. A dual-point locking system on each side of the window ensures a secure fit and a heavy-duty crank system provides easy operation from inside the home. These windows are a popular choice for bathrooms and dining rooms.
- Picture Windows – Picture windows are specifically for the view and have no opening mechanism on them. Coming in one piece of glass or multiple pieces of glass set seamlessly together, these windows create a portrait effect that beautifully frames the outside view and brings tons of natural light into the home. These are desirable in rooms that require no additional ventilation.
- Bay & Bow Windows – Bow and bay windows are a lovely addition to any home. These highly sought after window features provide a dramatic focal point to any room and also add style to the exterior. Bay windows are built to jut out from the exterior of the home and can even be constructed with a small seating area in the interior so you can relax and gaze out at the scenery.
- Garden Windows – Much like bay windows, garden windows also jut out and protrude from the home’s exterior. Garden windows are a three-dimensional window style that is typically installed in kitchens above the sink. With glass on the front, sides, and top of the window, garden windows can be equipped with shelves to grow small plants, herbs, or flowers.
- Basement Windows – Otherwise known as ‘hopper windows’, basement windows are designed to outfit basements with a functional window that allows for ample ventilation and to bring in natural light. They have hinges on the bottom of the window so they can be open from the top and tilted open to allow for air to flow easily through. These windows are sometimes installed in small bathrooms as well when there is limited space for larger window installations.
If you are considering updating your home by installing new windows and are trying to decide on what window style best suits your taste and style, Window World is here to help. We have an extensive selection of high-quality windows that will add value to your property as well as make each room more functional.
Contact Our Professional Window Replacement Professionals Today
*Our new office hours are Monday-Friday 10 am-2 pm.*
During these difficult times, your safety and the safety of our employees is our greatest concern. So, everyone at Window World is working under strict social distancing guidelines to keep you safe. We are answering all calls and giving estimates on all your Windows, Siding, Roofing, Doors, & Gutter projects.
Window World of Boston has an A+ BBB Rating and offers industry-leading solutions for replacement windows. At Window World of Boston, we are providing safe at-home and virtual consultations to protect our customers. Our experts are available to answer your questions and provide estimates while meeting all CDC guidelines when we install windows, roofing, or siding. Learn more about our products, financing, and warranty or schedule an appointment by calling 781-262-3925 today.